Saturday, November 23, 2019

Needlebook with Embroidery

The other day, I came across an embroidered needlebook online here. I was intrigued by this and wanted to try making one myself. Below are my pictures with descriptions to explain my experience making my first needlebook.
 

 Above are some of the materials that I used. It's amazing to find another use for scrap fabric!




The outside cover is made of embroidered white linen. The inside is a red cotton fabric. The middle layer is red wool, to help stiffen the needlebook.


 The two black ties are lucet cords that I braided.



Inside the needlebook, I created a small pocket on the right that opens towards the spine of the book, so that items will not fall out as easily.




               
Here is what the completed needlebook looks like.





Lesson learned for the next time:

- Make the book smaller.  This book measures 3.5 inches wide
by 4.5 inches long.



Here is a tutorial with step by step instructions on how to make
your own needlebook.


Needlebooks are not period (SCA wise). After briefly researching the history of needlebooks, the first needlebook on record appears to have been in the late 1800's (per the Nordic Needle). Many were produced from the 1920's to the 1950's (Needlebooks). So, although these are not historically accurate, I still like the concept of it for something to hold my needles in at events, rather than the modern plastic container that I have been using.

1 comment: