Tuesday, July 16, 2024

My Latest Holbein Pattern Creation for a Partlet

To go with the Holbein embroidered cuffs that I recently made, I have put together another Holbein pattern combination to embroider on to the collar of a partlet.

I have taken the pattern from John's collar from 1528 (pictured above) and added the crosses on the edges from Jane Seymour's cuffs from 1536-37 (pictured below). 


This is the combined Holbein pattern that I have put together for my next embroidery project.


Since only the first part of John's collar is visible in Holbein's painting, I entered in my own opinion of how the patterns would have been connected further along on his collar. I tested it out with different patterns, including placing the tails side by side (which looked too cluttered) and by placing a diamond between the tails (which still looked cluttered). A line is very simple, but I think it looks more even and pleasing to the eye. What do you think?


When I mention Holbein, I am referring to Hans Holbein the Younger. He was a court painter in the court of King Henry VIII until his death in 1543.



1 comment: