Friday, September 11, 2026

Mary Wotton, Lady Guildford will have her year of death updated on the Saint Louis Art Museum website because of me!

Remember back in April 2026 when I reached out to the Saint Louis Art Museum (SLAM) about the misspelling of Mary's surname of Wotton (they had originally spelled it as Wooten)? This portrait was painted by Hans Holbein the Younger circa 1527. https://www.slam.org/collection/objects/35772/
 


Well, at that time, I also addressed her year of death. SLAM's webpage says she lived from 1499-1535. This is incorrect because by 1540, she married her second husband Sir Gawen Carew.

Her burial plaque is at St. Mary Churchyard in Devon, England. She died in September 1558. The Met Museum also has her death year listed as 1558: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/436664 . 
 


According to this website, Mary Wotton was one of the ladies of Queen Kateryn Parr's household in 1543: https://tudorsdynasty.com/ladies-served-kateryn-parr/ .

So anyway... Today I heard back from SLAM. The head curator of European Art until 1800 agrees that SLAM should update their records to reflect the burial plaque. The changes should be visible online within the next 24-48 hours! ☺️☺️ 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment