Monday, August 14, 2023

Known World A&S Display and Craftspersons Green at Pennsic War 50

On Sunday of War Week at Pennsic 50, I participated in the Known World A&S Display with various blackwork embroidery projects. I also brought 2 baked goodies: Jumbles (1597 recipe) and Prince Biskets (1602 recipe) because I simply enjoy baking and feeding people (but blackwork embroidery is my passion). 


Originally, we were told that set-up started at 11:30am and that the populace could view our arts between 1-5pm. However, that was not the case at all. While we were finishing setting up our displays, people already started to walk by and ask questions. It was lots of fun! I got to geek about blackwork embroidery with everyone who stopped by! The next thing I knew it was about 4:15pm and we were informed of an incoming rainstorm. We talked so much about our arts to so many people! As it was, my husband's voice was a little hoarse from talking so much and my stomach was growling because we hadn't had time to stop to eat lunch. But it was so worth it! I loved getting to show off my work (on cuffs, collars, a coif, a sampler, etc), answer questions, demonstrate lessons learned the hard way (like when I used untwisted silk thread for the first time - and learning the hard way of the importance of beeswax on the ends of threads), etc.



Then, on Monday of War Week, I participated in the Craftspersons Green held at Midrealm Royal. I had hoped to already have my slate frame dressed, so that I could begin embroidering my next project. However, time got away from me prior to arriving at Pennsic. So, I used this time to demonstrate how I attach linen to the slate frame, along with describing the differences between using a slate frame versus a scroll frame or a hoop frame.

Getting my display area set up 

I also brought bread that I had baked because (once again) I enjoy baking! The bread was Bara Planc (Welsh yeasted griddle bread).


Dressing my slate frame (picture credit: J. Weber)


I prefer using slate frames for a variety reasons (more historically accurate than a hoop frame, better tension than a scroll frame, etc). For more information on the different types of embroidery hoops, please click here

It was windy on that day (with the threat of sprinkling rain). So, I was reluctant to get most of my embroidered items out for display. I did have my sampler out (16th century Italian patterns) on the table, to help explain / demonstrate what I was working on. However, I did have my test project on display for pouncing.
 
Once the linen was attached to the slate frame, then I began my next embroidery project: a combination of 2 different historical patterns that I merged into 1 pattern. I embroidered this pattern once before on the back of a caul as a gift for a friend when she became a Laurel. For the pattern, along with videos on how I embroidered the original pattern and made the caul, please see below.








Pennsic was so much fun! The time simply flew by. Thank you to everyone who stopped by either my A&S display and/or the Craftspersons Green. 

(My husband and me)





No comments:

Post a Comment