Sunday, August 13, 2023

Some Research for Blackwork Embroidery

More or less, I'm putting this information here so that I may refer to it again later. 

There's a Blackwork Fragment at the MFA Boston that I know that I've seen before, as I vaguely remember drafting the patterns on to my blackwork canvas. However, there is one detail about this particular item that is slightly confusing: it's listed as French, but then says Object Place is England. It's dimensions are 9 1/4 x 5 11/16 in. On the page, it describes the textile as "linen with silk embroidery", "black embroidery on white", "blackwork fragment", and "late 16th-early 17th century". 

Also at the MFA Boston, there's a Punto scrito that has me intrigued. It is described as "Italian embroidery worked with Holbein stitch", "Linen and silk; embroidery", and "Italian Not characteristic of any period". This particular textile is embroidered with red silk thread on an off-white linen.
 
There is also another Punto scrito at the MFA Boston that also has me intrigued, simply because there is no picture available. It's listed as being 16th century Italian embroidery made of linen and silk. "Heavy white linen surrounds with a border of two widths worked with dark blue silk, the bobbin lace on the edge is made of the same material and color." I wonder if the dark blue silk was originally black that faded into blue? 

I've put in an inquiry with the MFA Boston. However, the website makes it sound like it may be weeks prior to receiving any answer from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment